Annotated Bibliography: Polypharmacy in Patient Care
Halli-Tierney, A., Scarbrough, C., & Carroll, D. G. (2019). Polypharmacy: evaluating risks and deprescribing.
American family physician,
The use of different medications for specific conditions or polypharmacy has different health outcomes for the patient. One of the main ideas in the article is a comprehensive assessment of the condition of the patient and the prognosis. It is also essential to consider the risk factors of polypharmacy and avoid unnecessary prescriptions (Halli-Tierney et al., 2019). Polypharmacy can be inevitable in older or younger people with chronic illnesses like mental disorders.
The source provides the necessary steps to medical practitioners every time a prescription is essential. The main concept is age consideration and dose adjustment to prevent the development or damage to the organs (Halli-Tierney et al., 2019). The source also highlights the need for considering previous medications, over-the-counter trials rather than permanent use, continuous monitoring, review and follow-up to detect client-arising complications.
On reflection of the source, the source is useful for continuous education for healthcare providers and client prescriptions. The source is helpful since it highlights the adverse effects of multiple prescriptions like reduction in quality of life, organ damage, low quality of medical care, increase in medical errors, and high burden to the healthcare system (Halli-Tierney et al., 2019). The other factor that makes the source useful is that it focuses on the individual and the population’s wellness. The positive aspect is providing health education on the need to stop and report complications to allow prompt interventions.
Varghese, D., Ishida, C., & Koya, H. H. (2022). Polypharmacy. In
StatPearls [Internet]. StatPearls Publishing.
One of the main ideas in the source is that polypharmacy is the use of at least five medications for the same medical condition. It is common in the elderly due to the body’s physiological changes, predisposing it to co-morbidities and chronic illnesses (Varghese et al., 2022). Multiple drug use in the elderly has adverse effects, and it is necessary to avoid is as possible. In case of inevitable circumstances, it is essential to ensure the benefits outweigh the risks.
In evaluating the source, polypharmacy leads to adverse drug effects in the body due to pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetic abnormalities in the elderly. Some adverse effects lead to renal failure, hypotension, loss of appetite, delirium, and diarrhoea (Varghese et al., 2022). Assessment of the previous medical history and laboratory workups forms the basis of reviewing polypharmacy. Some of the important laboratory values include albumin, whicYour supervisor at St Joseph Home Health Services is satisfied with the resources described in your annotated bibliography and is eager for you to continue your work. As a next step, your supervisor wants you to develop and share the following items with them.
1. Write an introduction about your in-service presentation topic.
2. Create an outline that identifies and describes the important content areas for your in-service presentation topic.
3. Write a conclusion.
4. Provide an APA formatted References list that contains at least 2 credible references that you intend to cite in your presentation.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.